7.21.2009

Summer Shortcomings

It’s official - I’m going to Chicago shortly. Sadly, this will be the most exciting thing that I will do this summer. I wanted this summer to be full of adventure. I had hoped to explore many beaches, go to Austin, perhaps Florida, and maybe wonder around East Texas and on over to Arkansas. I think it has something to do with the fact that I don’t have anyone to accompany me on these many journeys I had hoped to complete. Next summer, though, I hope to make these dreams a reality. I’ll be eighteen then, and hopefully have more money and less fears. After all, there is no hotel a seventeen year old could stay at by themselves. 

But, Chicago is exciting! I’m going to visit my friend, Claire, who I met last summer when I visited Brown in Connecticut. Of course, friends were made, but I didn’t think we’d actually end up visiting any of them. I’m nervous that I’ll be bored or things might be awkward, since in reality we don’t know each other that well. Claire is the kind of girl who makes things fun, though, so I’m sure my fears are for nothing.

I suppose not all hope is lost for this summer. I tried to convince my family into going on a cruise, but that completely fell through as apparently cruises need to be scheduled many weeks in advance. However, I think that I could weasel my way into a trip to Galveston or South Padre. I definitely want to make my way to the beach with my family. It’s been such a long time since we’ve had a family vacation. And despite my desperation to get out of The Colony and away from my family, I will miss them and this is the last time I will live with them. 

No comments: